Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11


 10 years ago on this date, I was getting ready to leave for work and I walked past the TV set and saw my roommates shocked expression. I looked and sat down hard - it felt like I was watching a Die Hard movie - it was so surreal.
  3 weeks later , I met an Officer who had lost his Canine partner in the first building. His command center was in the basement and his dog was in his kennel when the first plane hit. It's a miracle that this officer made it out alive. He did not have time to go back down to get his dog. When the plane hit - he felt a jolt - but nothing that would alarm him enough to bring his dog with him. He went upstairs and saw the debris falling from inside the lobby. At that point it was too late to go back down - he had to do his duty and get people out of the building to safety. A short while later - he had to leave the building himself.
  I also knew a lot of the Canine SAR teams that went.
 Today I am remembering that dog and that officer - and all of the service personnel who lost their lives saving others. My heart is sad for all of the families who lost their loved ones. My heart is proud of the Americans who did all they could to help.
  The one quote that sticks with me is this :

  "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" -- Flight 93 passenger Todd Beamer, just before he and other passengers attacked the hijackers and saved a hit on the White House, Sept. 11.


 Yeah - AMERICA - that is how we do it 

No comments:

Post a Comment